Pages

Apr 5, 2012

Its NOT Cool.

There's this word, a certain word, that every time I hear it my stomach flips and I feel like there is seagulls in my chest trying to come out, that some one has punched me in the gut or stabbed me in my side.
 What is this word you ask? A word I don't say, a word that I refer to as the "R-word", But to most of you its "retard" and "retarded"

Do you think its cool to call a pencil that doesn't work properly this word?
Do you believe its okay to call your friend who did something stupid this word?
Do you its funny to make fun of some one who's different using this word?

Because it's not. It is then that you are referring to my little brother as stupid, dumb, wrong, imperfect, broken, etc. You get my point. It is NOT. It kills me every time. But I suppose its not your fault since you don't know the real definition, you all think the definition is An offensive term used to refer to someone acting in an irritating or generally stupid way. Usually most people don't mean to use it in the derogatory way. They think, "Well it means the same as stupid so I'll just replace it." Let me tell you one thing, my brother is not STUPID, he knows more than possibly 30 signs, he knows how to say tons of words, he knows more than you will ever know. My brother is perfect. Yes He has Down syndrome, but that's how GOD made him, and we are made in His image!
So please the next time you want to use the "R-word" please think before you speak.
Because its NOT cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment